Calcium channel blockers
These remedies lower blood force and address other situations such as upper body pain and an irregular heartbeat.
By Mayo Clinic Workers
Calcium channel blockers are medicines utilized to reduce blood stress. They function by protecting against calcium from entering the cells of the heart and arteries. Calcium brings about the coronary heart and arteries to squeeze (agreement) extra strongly. By blocking calcium, calcium channel blockers enable blood vessels to unwind and open.
Some calcium channel blockers can also sluggish the coronary heart fee, which can further reduce blood strain. The medications might also be prescribed to alleviate upper body pain (angina) and handle an irregular heartbeat.
Calcium channel blockers are also named calcium antagonists.
Examples of calcium channel blockers
Calcium channel blockers are available in limited-acting and extensive-performing kinds. Brief-acting remedies work swiftly, but their outcomes very last only a handful of hours. Extended-performing medications are gradually unveiled to supply a for a longer period long lasting effect. Which one particular is ideal for you depends on your wellness and the condition currently being addressed.
Examples of calcium channel blockers involve:
- Amlodipine (Norvasc)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem, Tiazac, other individuals)
- Nifedipine (Procardia)
- Nisoldipine (Sular)
- Verapamil (Calan SR, Verelan)
Sometimes, a health practitioner could possibly prescribe a calcium channel blocker with other large blood force medications or with cholesterol-reducing medication these as statins.
When calcium channel blockers are made use of
In addition to staying made use of to handle high blood tension, a health practitioner also might prescribe calcium channel blockers to protect against, handle or boost symptoms of disorders, these kinds of as:
- Coronary artery sickness
- Upper body discomfort (angina)
- Irregular heartbeats (arrhythmia)
- Blood vessel ailments, these types of as Raynaud’s illness
For blacks and older men and women, calcium channel blockers could work much better than other blood force prescription drugs, such as beta blockers, angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or angiotensin II receptor blockers.
Facet effects of calcium channel blockers may possibly consist of:
- Rapidly heartbeat (palpitations)
- Swelling in the toes and decreased legs
Stay clear of grapefruit products even though getting particular calcium channel blockers. Grapefruit juice interacts with the drug and can impact coronary heart level and blood tension. This can cause symptoms these as head aches and dizziness.
Sept. 16, 2021
- Mann JFE. Option of drug treatment in most important (necessary) hypertension. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/search. Accessed June 25, 2019.
- Forms of blood stress medications. American Coronary heart Association. https://www.coronary heart.org/en/health-subject areas/significant-blood-stress/adjustments-you-can-make-to-take care of-substantial-blood-pressure/forms-of-blood-stress-drugs. Accessed July 26, 2021.
- Sidawy AN, et al., eds. Atherosclerotic threat things: Hypertension. In: Rutherford’s Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Remedy. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier 2019. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 11, 2019.
- Bakris GL, et al. Calcium channel blockers. In: Hypertension: A Companion to Braunwald’s Coronary heart Disease. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders 2018. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 19, 2019.
- Aronson JK, ed. Calcium channel blockers. In: Meyler’s Facet Consequences of Medicine. 16th ed. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 19, 2019.
- Block MJ, et al. Big side effects and protection of calcium channel blockers. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/lookup. Accessed July 19, 2019.
See more In-depth